Sunday, July 19, 2009

OWL CITY

BUY THIS ALBUM RIGHT NOW. Or actually, at least get the itunes single of the week right now! Owl City makes me look at the world differently. Everything looks more beautiful when I'm listening to this album. Adam Young, the artist behind Owl City, has a few things that really make me like him: good beats, dreamy lyrics, and that undeniable allure of indie. I almost hope he doesn't get too popular for that reason. Here's his note about the new album (from owlcitymusic.com). It's very inspiring to me.
"Hello everyone,
I need to tell you a story.
Several months ago, as the pouring rain beat down on my bedroom skylight and I was lying wide awake, staring blankly at my ceiling (as I so often tend to do), I got up, padded downstairs to the basement, sat down at my computer and began writing music. Nothing in particular, just writing for the love of writing... writing because music is what makes me feel. It allows me to taste the sky and dream in color. After a lot of thought, daydreaming, talking to myself, lukewarm coffee and sleepless nights, I finally finished putting together a collection of songs affectionately entitled "Ocean Eyes".
I'm from the middle of nowhere in Minnesota you see, so the ocean has always been a curiously dreamy, ethereal, almost romantic thing to me. Over the years I spent a great deal of time with my eyes closed, imagining myself having the most wonderful adventures by the seaside. Doing things one can only do in dusk and glow and midsummer dreams, as if the back of my closed eyelids were a silver screen and I was a sentimental projectionist with hundreds of fanciful reels at hand, all ready to roll. Thus is the reasoning behind the title.
I hope with everything in me that you enjoy the sounds on this record. I hope they reach down from the deep sky, delicately loop their soft silver filaments under your arms and lift you up so high above the city lights and crashing waves that it leaves you breathless and you can see from here to eternity. If by chance you ever feel as though you've come to know these songs, please consider yourself a friend of mine because in a manner of speaking, you know me. This music is my heart and soul. This is who I am.
With that being said, I am so very glad to meet you.
It's been a dreadfully long time since Owl City has released new music and for that, I apologize. I tend to put things off but I am so very grateful to those of you who've stayed with me this far. And so, this is where I need to say something...
Thank you.
Thank you from the absolute bottom of my daydreaming, shy, boyish heart.
I'd be nowhere without your support and encouragement.
Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone, so allow me to express my infinite thankfulness.
My appreciation is endless.
Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for allowing me to do what I do.
I treasure you all.
Yell at me if you see me somewhere,
Adam"
On another note, I've read some of Frankenstein for my summer reading, and I actually really like it. It takes awhile to read but it seems really worth it.
On another another note, my room is almost finished. I just want to add a few more things before I take before/after pictures!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree one hundred percent.
i adore him :)
i'll be buying this as soon as it hits stores.
good to know you like good music. :)
x

July 20, 2009 at 4:48 AM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

I love Owl City! lovely post!

July 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home